Congestive heart failure as the name resembles it is failure of heart due to congestion in the body. Before understanding congestive heart failure, we need to understand the pumping of heart muscles and blood circulation in the body by the heart.
Heart is an important body organ that pumps blood throughout the body. Heart is the pumping machine that flow blood to each and every body cell. Blood transport oxygen and nutrition to body cells for their smooth working.
Heart is divided into four chambers, Upper two chambers are Atriums and lower two chambers are Ventricles. Ventricles pumps blood to body organs and Atriums receives blood from your body to send it back to lungs for filtration.
Heart muscles also needs blood, oxygen and nutrition to work smoothly. The tubes that supplies blood to heart muscles are called coronary arteries.
Heart’s normal pumping capacity is 55-60%. It means if 100% blood comes to the heart, it pumps 60% blood to the body and remaining 40% heart takes for its working. The amount of blood heart pumps to the body is called as Ejection fraction or LVEF (Left ventricular ejection fraction), In simple words it is also called as “Heart pumping, Heart function, Heart Working, Heart pumping capacity or Heart working capacity.
When the ventricles can’t pump enough amount of blood to body organs, heart pumping decrease below 30-35%, and blood and fluid backs up in body then Congestive heart failure develops and the patient develops many alarming symptoms.
Symptoms of Congestive Heart Failure –
Causes of Congestive Heart Failure –
There are several causes for congestive heart failure, the main reasons are –
As per the heart response many types of cardiomyopathy may generate- Dilated Cardiomyopathy, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia.
Transthyretin amyloid cardiomyopathy (ATTR-CM)
There are so many other reasons that are not listed here can also cause CHF.
A medical test which is called an Electrocardiogram or ECHO test is done to find out the heart pumping capacity, valves and heart chambers status and any cardiac related dysfunction of heart or to rule out a Congestive Heart Failure condition
Written by: Dr. Chetan Sharma
EECP Specialist, Heart & Lifestyle Expert
Supported by Mr. Abhijeet Gautam